Essential London Taxi Driver Skills
To qualify as a UK taxi driver, you’ll need to get your PCO driving licence. Besides being a competent driver with good knowledge of the roads, there are also a few useful “soft skills” you can work on to make you more successful in your profession.
What Skills do You Need to be a Taxi Driver?
To be a taxi driver in London, you need a specific type of driving licence known as a PCO licence (sometimes also called a PHV licence). This licence is issued by the Public Carriage Office (PCO), a department of Transport for London (TfL).
You must be at least 21 years old and have the legal right to work in the UK to be eligible for a PCO licence. You must also hold a valid UK driving licence that is at least 3 years old.
You’ll also need to pass a few important tests and checks to get your licence, including:
- A medical exam
- An enhanced DBS check (criminal record check)
- A topographical skills assessment
- A speaking and listening assessment
- A Safety, Equality and Regulatory Understanding (SERU) assessment
Important ”Soft Skills” for Taxi Drivers
Apart from the official qualifications, there are a few other skills and qualities you can work on to become a successful taxi driver:
- Good time management
- A warm and friendly manner
- A good sense of safety and responsibility
- Good knowledge of your regular routes, including traffic hotspots and shortcuts
- The ability to keep a cool head under pressure (e.g., in a stressful traffic jam)
- Strong communication skills
What Skills do You Need to Drive with Addison Lee?
At Addison Lee, we require that all our private hire and taxi drivers have a valid PCO licence. We also look for professionalism, honesty and enthusiasm in the drivers that work for us. Contact us to learn more about becoming a taxi driver with our well-respected London fleet.
Addison Lee, London’s largest private hire and taxi firm, has today announced a new partnership with the WizAnn Knowledge School …