How to Apply for a Chauffeur Licence
What type of licence do chauffeur drivers use and what do you need to do to become a chauffeur? Here’s what you can expect when applying for your chauffeur licence.
Do I Need a Taxi Licence to become a Chauffeur?
The Public Carriage Office (PCO), which is part of Transport for London (TfL), oversees the process of licencing chauffeurs and private hire drivers. To become a chauffeur in the UK, you’ll need to get a PCO licence (also called a private hire vehicle drivers licence). This is the same type of licence used by taxi drivers and private hire vehicle operators. You can get a PCO licence application pack online.
Note that you must meet certain criteria and pass some important tests before your licence can be approved.
- You must be at least 21 years old when you apply
- There is no maximum age limit, provided you meet the other requirements
- You must have the right to live and work in the UK
- You must hold a valid driving licence which is at least 3 years old (i.e., a full DVLA, Northern Ireland or other EEA state driving licence)
- You must be medically fit, which means doing a full medical check-up with your GP
- You must be of good character, which means passing an in-depth criminal records check
- You must take a topographical skills assessment at an accredited centre
Have a Chauffeur Licence? Drive with Addison Lee
After you get your PCO licence, you’ll need to find a reputable private hire operator to work with. Addison Lee is a highly respected private hire service based in London, and we’re always looking for professional chauffeurs to add to our growing fleet.
If you’re a newly licenced chauffeur, the good news is you don’t need previous experience to become an Addison Lee driver. These are the qualities we look for in all our applicants:
- A sound working knowledge of London routes
- Good English communication skills
- Reliability and professionalism
Start your career as a London chauffeur today by joining the prestigious Addison Lee drivers team.
London’s largest private hire and taxi firm Addison Lee has today announced an investment in 600 brand new, zero-emission capable …