What is a PCO Licence?
A PCO Licence, or Private Hire Vehicle Drivers Licence, is the driving licence you need if you want to work as a taxi driver, minicab driver or chauffeur in the United Kingdom.
How to Apply for a PCO Licence
A PCO licence is a driving licence for private hire drivers, issued by the PCO (Public Carriage Office), a department of TfL (Transport for London).
Private hire vehicles are officially defined as “vehicles that can carry up to 8 passengers and are available for hire with a driver”. This includes taxis, minicabs, and limousines,
All private hire drivers are required to hold a valid PCO licence and work for a licensed private hire operator. The PCO has put these requirements in place to ensure that drivers provide an excellent standard of customer service and keep their passengers safe on the roads.
If you like the idea of working with new people every day, setting your own hours and driving on a flexible schedule that suits your routine, applying for a PCO licence should be your first step towards a rewarding job as a private hire driver.
To apply for a PCO licence you need to meet the following criteria:
- You must be at least 21 years old.
- You must have held a DVLA, Northern Ireland or EEA driving licence for at least the past three years.
- You must meet the required medical standards, which you can confirm by completing a checkup with your GP.
- You must be of good character and pass a criminal record check (an Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service or DBS check).
- You must have the necessary map-reading and route-finding skills.
- You must be able to speak, read, and understand English to communicate effectively with your passengers.
You can download and submit the necessary documents online if you meet these requirements
Apply for your PCO licence here
How long does a PCO licence last?
Once your PCO licence is issued, it will be valid for three years.
If you have your PCO licence, join Addison Lee’s London driver team today. You can also contact us with any questions about how to get licensed.
Most motor vehicles in London are subject to the city’s Congestion Charge – a fee for driving in heavy-traffic areas …
Working as a London taxi driver is rewarding and offers great flexibility, but like many jobs, it comes with challenges. …