How Long does it Take to Become a Private Hire Driver?
The first thing you need is a PCO licence. To get one, you must be 21 years old, and you must have a valid driving licence that is at least 3 years old.
As part of your training for this licence, you’ll also be required to take a few tests.
- A medical examination from your doctor
- An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (criminal record) check
- A topographical (map-reading and route-finding) skills assessment
- An English speaking and listening assessment
- A Safety, Equality and Regulatory Understanding (SERU) assessment to determine your English reading and writing skills
NB: Note that you must have the legal right to live and work in the UK before you can apply for a PHV licence.
How Long does it Take to Get a PCO Licence?
It can take between 12 – 16 weeks to get your PCO licence.
Once you have obtained your licence and passed the tests, the next step is to register with a private hire company, like Addison Lee.
These are the essential documents you’ll need in order to drive for us:
- Identification: We require 2 documents as proof of identity.
- Driving licence: In order to legally work as a taxi driver, you must have a valid driving licence.
- PHV (Private Hire Vehicle) licence or PCO licence: A type of driving licence issued by the Public Carriage Office (PCO), which is a department of Transport for London (TfL).
If you have any questions, please contact our driver recruitment team on 0207 255 4204 for more information.
London’s largest private hire and taxi firm Addison Lee has today announced an investment in 600 brand new, zero-emission capable …