How Long does it Take to Become a Private Hire Driver?
The first thing you need is a PCO licence. To get one, you must be 21 years old, and you must have a valid driving licence that is at least 3 years old.
As part of your training for this licence, you’ll also be required to take a few tests.
- A medical examination from your doctor
- An Enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service (criminal record) check
- A topographical (map-reading and route-finding) skills assessment
- An English speaking and listening assessment
- A Safety, Equality and Regulatory Understanding (SERU) assessment to determine your English reading and writing skills
NB: Note that you must have the legal right to live and work in the UK before you can apply for a PHV licence.
How Long does it Take to Get a PCO Licence?
It can take between 12 – 16 weeks to get your PCO licence.
Once you have obtained your licence and passed the tests, the next step is to register with a private hire company, like Addison Lee.
These are the essential documents you’ll need in order to drive for us:
- Identification: We require 2 documents as proof of identity.
- Driving licence: In order to legally work as a taxi driver, you must have a valid driving licence.
- PHV (Private Hire Vehicle) licence or PCO licence: A type of driving licence issued by the Public Carriage Office (PCO), which is a department of Transport for London (TfL).
If you have any questions, please contact our driver recruitment team on 0207 255 4204 for more information.
Wondering how to become a taxi driver in the UK? Provided you are medically fit and legally able to work …